Welcome to First Community Youth Ministry! Middle and high school youth (grade 6-12) are invited to join us in exploring our faith through these fellowship and service activities! We welcome all youth, including those whose families are not members of First Community.
Sundays, 6 – 7 pm
First Community North (3777 Dublin Rd.)
What is Crossroads?
Crossroads is our Sunday program for grades 6-12. We gather as a full group for games and announcements, then hear a unique message from staff, volunteers, or visitors. Then, we’ll split into groups by grade for discussion and activities. Each grade has 2-4 Crossroads Leaders (long-time church members and former Camp Akita counselors) who mentor their class through graduation.
What kind of messages are discussed?
Our goal is to build a genuine community, so we always start with get-to-know-you questions and other ways of fostering friendship and connection. First Community believes in a loving God who cherishes each person exactly as they are. We seek to emulate that Spirit by celebrating where each person stands on their spiritual journey—knowing that each journey is different! There are no “right” or “wrong” answers; our goal is never to convert or alienate anyone. We hope First Community’s Youth Ministry is a place to wonder, share doubts, and explore life’s big questions in a loving and accepting community. The type of topics we discuss include…
- What’s the difference between “tolerance” and “acceptance”? When was a time you felt simply tolerated? What does it mean to be accepted for who you truly are—by yourself, others, and God?
- Let’s look at the Good Samaritan story through the lens of our modern lives. Who are the Samaritans these days, and in what ways do they need to prove they are “good”?
- What is prayer? How do other faith traditions pray, and how can we celebrate the diverse ways we connect to the Divine?
Registration is free and simply allows us to get to know the youth and families in our program. It also provides us with emergency contact info. Even if you’ve registered before, please fill out this form:
October 28-30, 2022
We will host just one retreat this year, and it’s sure to be a blast! Spend the weekend at Camp Akita participating in games, activities, and reflection with Crossroads Leaders and friends. Mark your calendar now; more info and register HERE!
Sunday, December 11
5 – 7 pm
In place of Crossroads on December 11, we will purchase and wrap Christmas gifts for families in need. Please note the extended time.
More to Come
Many of our youth programs took a hiatus during the pandemic, but we’re committed to bringing back opportunities to gather. We'll announce more information on service projects, fun gatherings, and worship opportunities soon, including…
- Weekly and/or monthly service opportunities
- Spring break service trip
- Block of Wood Confirmation class