Welcome to First Community Youth Ministry! Middle and high school youth (grade 6-12) are invited to join us in exploring our faith through these fellowship and service activities! We welcome all youth, including those whose families are not members of First Community. Explore this page for an overview of our weekly programs and special events.
For the most up-to-date information, timing, and ways to get involved, check out our weekly newsletter. Register for youth ministry to receive these updates weekly!
Sundays, 12:30 - 1:30 pm (note this new time for 2023-24!)
First Community North (3777 Dublin Rd.)
Crossroads is our Sunday program for grades 6-12. We gather as a full group for games and announcements, then hear a unique message from staff, volunteers, or visitors. Then, we’ll split into groups by grade for discussion and activities. Each grade has 2-4 Crossroads Leaders (long-time church members and former Camp Akita counselors) who mentor their class through graduation.
Our goal is to build a genuine community, so we always start with get-to-know-you questions and other ways of fostering friendship and connection. First Community believes in a loving God who cherishes each person exactly as they are. We seek to emulate that Spirit by celebrating where each person stands on their spiritual journey—knowing that each journey is different! There are no “right” or “wrong” answers; our goal is never to convert or alienate anyone. We hope First Community’s Youth Ministry is a place to wonder, share doubts, and explore life’s big questions in a loving and accepting community.
Youth Volunteering at Heart to Heart
Wednesdays, 5 – 6:30 pm
First Community South (1320 Cambridge Blvd.)
Join us each Wednesday to help prepare grocery bags for the clients at Heart to Heart Food Pantry! Youth in grades 6-12 are welcome to serve with us! Middle school parents: we strongly encourage you to attend with your child the first time they volunteer at Heart to Heart. Once they get to know the tasks, they're welcome to come on their own! All participants under 18 must bring a waiver the first time you volunteer. Click here to find the Minor Waiver.
Required: Sign-Up. Spots are limited for each Wednesday evening and signing up is required. Click below to sign up! Note: if you are signing up yourself and your child, be sure to occupy two volunteer spots.
Fall Youth Retreat
Saturday, October 21 - Sunday, October 22
Registration is now open for the Fall Youth Retreat! Youth in grades 6-12 are welcome to join us for a great weekend!
- 10 am – check in at First Community North. We’ll drive down to camp together in church vans.
- 11:30 am – get settled at camp, do some introductions, and small group welcome games.
- 1 pm – Lunch
- Afternoon activities (hiking, crafts, tag games, etc.)
- 6 pm – Dinner
- Evening activities (games, scavenger hunt, and movie with popcorn)
- 11 pm – Lights out
- 8:30 am – Morning devotion
- 9 am – Breakfast
- 9:30 am – Small group debrief time
- 10:30 am – Pack up
- 11 am – Those going home load the vans; those staying for Akita Fun Day help us set up pumpkin carving and eat lunch.
- 12 pm – Those going home arrive back at First Community North
- 1 pm – Those staying for Akita Fun Day meet up with families.
MORE ABOUT THE RETREAT
Who Can Attend? Youth in grades 6-12 are invited! Friends are welcome, even if they have not attended Crossroads or other FC youth programs. Just be sure they register; feel free to forward this email!
Fees & Scholarships. The Youth Retreat is $75 per participant. Full and partial scholarships are available.
Living at Camp Akita. Youth Retreat participants will live in the Camp Akita Lodge, which has heat and air conditioning and bathrooms with hot showers. All meals are provided. On the registration form, you'll find we ask about medications and allergies so we can serve all participants safely. The retreat is led by Sarah and Fred (Youth Ministry/Camp Akita Directors), as well as volunteer Crossroads Leaders.
Akita Fun Day is on Sunday, October 22, a free family event with pumpkin carving, hiking, climbing the tower, and more. If your family is attending Akita Fun Day, you'll meet up with your family once they arrive, enjoy Akita Fun Day (1 - 4 pm), then ride home as a family. If your family is not attending Akita Fun Day, you'll head back to Columbus with youth retreat leaders and get dropped off at First Community.
The deadline for retreat registration is Monday, October 9.
Choir & Music Opportunities
For Middle School (Grades 6-8)
Middle schoolers are invited to join our Junior Choir and our Youth Bell Choir under the direction of Lori Walls. Find more information here: Youth Choirs.
For High School (Grades 9-12)
High schoolers are invited (and encouraged!) to join our choirs that participate in worship on Sundays. These opportunities include...
- Cambridge Choir at South. This SATB choir under the direction of Associate Director of Music, Amy Blosser, participates in worship at the 10am service during the program year. Rehearsals are on Sunday mornings and occasionally on Thursday evenings. Amy also directs the choirs at Bexley High School. You will be joining some of her students in this group as well as adults of all ages. Contact Amy for more information.
- Chancel Choir at North. An SATB choir under the direction of Andy Blosser, Director of Music, this choir participates in the worship service at 11am. A subset of this group (The Chamber Choir) sings at the 9am service. This choir rehearses every Thursday evening during the program year. Dr. Andy Blosser is a voice professor at OSU. You will be joining several of his young students in this choir as well as adults of all ages. Contact Andy for more information. For special worship services and concerts, these choirs will combine and are often accompanied by an orchestra.
- Common Grace Band. This contemporary music group is led by Janelle Rogers. They play at the 9 am contemporary service at North. There are opportunities in this band for vocalists, drummers, keyboard, guitar and bass players. Rehearsals are on Sunday mornings. Contact Janelle for current openings and specific information.
- Whitechapel Bell Choir. The Whitechapel Ringers ring in the services once a month from September to June. Rehearsals are Tuesdays, 6 - 7:30 pm in the choir room. Contact Carol for more information.
Mexico Mission Trip 2024
March 19-27, 2024
Save the dates! More details are on the way for our March 2024 trip. In the meantime, learn about First Community's Mexico Mission Trip at our special site dedicated to the trip:
Block of Wood Confirmation 2024
Confirmation Class dates coming soon!
All high school students (grades 9-12) are invited to join our Block of Wood Confirmation Class. Over the course of three Sunday evenings, they will discuss what Confirmation means, hear from special guests, and spend time thinking about their personal faith journeys. At the end of the class, participants will be Confirmed as members of First Community in a special worship service. Dates, registration, and details for our 2024 class are coming soon!
Register for Youth Updates
Registration is free and simply allows us to get to know the youth and families in our program. By registering, you'll be included on our weekly newsletter, which provides updates on programs and opportunities. We ask youth families to register each school year, so even if you’ve registered before, please fill out this form:
Our Youth Ministry team would love to connect with you! Please reach out to us with questions, pastoral care concerns, or opportunities to connect. We would love to get to know you better!
Rev. Sarah Kientz (she/her), Minister to Youth and Camp Akita
Fred Kridler (he/him), Youth Program Coordinator