What is La Vida?
La Vida is a 10-day backpacking trip for graduated seniors. It is rigorous, challenging both body and faith, and is often seen as the “capstone” of the First Community Youth Program. Every challenge during this adventure in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York is an example of how our faith journey intersects with daily life.
The trip is a personal voyage of discovery, a deep bonding with the people around you, an appreciation of the beauty that surrounds us, and a daily routine that is counter to today’s busy culture. La Vida, Spanish for “The Life,” is a commitment move that teaches you endless lessons about yourself, others, and God. There is a reason why First Community has been participating in La Vida for over 20 years: it is an experience like no other!
Why You Should Go
Because you are now old enough to put yourself just outside of your personal comfort zones. Because you’re ready to see life through new eyes. Because you want to take on a physical, emotional, and spiritual challenge. Because you want an experience you will not encounter anywhere else. Lastly, because you want to have fun…guaranteed!
- Dates: July 12-23, 2017
- Location: The Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York, near Lake Placid (map)
- Price: $915
- Due dates: $200 non-refundable deposit due at registration; balance due June 1
- More info: La Vida is a mission of Gordon College in which First Community Church participates. Visit Gordon College’s La Vida website to learn more.
- Sunday, May 7 at 6:00pm (post-registration meeting)
- Tuesday, July 9 at 7:00pm (pre-departure meeting) [date is TBD according to Camp Akita’s schedule]
- LaVida Equipment List (Packing List)
- Our notes about the La Vida equipment list
- Feminine Hygiene needs (for all female participants)
Please review La Vida’s equipment list carefully as you prepare for your trip. Camp Akita’s notes should be reviewed alongside La Vida’s list to clarify frequently asked questions.
Forms are due June 20.Print Form Packet
Registration is now closed.
Final payments are due June 1
For more information, please contact Gabrielle Whitcomb, Youth Ministry Coordinator, at GWhitcomb@FCchurch.com or 614.488.0681 ext. 103.
Back to FCchurch.com/youth »